Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code MN405
Unit Title Data and Information Management
Assessment Type Assignment 1 (T2 2017)
Assessment Title Managing Data in Databases
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) The purpose of this assignment is to develop skills in managing data in databases and to gain understanding of data model development and implementation using a commercially available database management system development tool.
On completion of this assignment students will be able to:
a. Model organisational information requirements using conceptual data modelling techniques.
b. Convert the conceptual data models into relational data model
Weight 60 Marks
Total Marks 20% of total assessment for the unit
Word limit No specific word limit
Due Date La Week 8
Description of this assignment: This assignment consists of three Questions:
Question 1: Designing a database using the Ms-Access.
Question 2: Implementing the SQL Commands
Question 3: Normalisation
Submission Guidelines • All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2.5 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using IEEE referencing style.
Extension • If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School’s Administration Officer, in Melbourne on Level 6 or in Sydney on Level 7. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at:
• Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at:http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure.For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
1. Below is the entity-relationship diagram for the banking database application, there are four relations/tables in their database describing banking application details, details of projects, work assigned for each branch and account, namely, BRANCH, ACCOUNT, CUSTOMER and TRANSACTION. The relationship diagram for these relations are given below.
A. Write one paragraph describing the E-R diagram above in your own language
B. Implement above database on MS Access. You are required to create the above 4 tables with the given attributes. Name the database as ‘OrientalBank’.
C. Enter at least 10 data records for each table in the database you created in (a) above. Here you have to enter data into all 4 tables.
D. Write 4 examples of report cards that can be generated using the ‘OrientalBank’ database.
E. Write down the shorthand representation (database schema) of the structure of a relational database for the above E-R diagram
F. What is a primary key? What is the primary key for each table in the ‘OrientalBank’ database.
2. Write SQL queries for the following questions and execute the queries on the ‘OrientalBank’ database you created above using MS Access.
A. Creating the four tables.
B. How many accounts have a balance greater than $500.
C. Display the Name, of all accounts with a balance greater than the average balance.
D. Find the ID, Name, Transaction number, date and type of the second account.
E. Find details of customers having their account in the second bank branch.
F. List the numbers and names of all customers.
G. List the complete account table.
H. List the account number and name of all customers that have opened their accounts in the second branch and that have a balance less than $1,000.
I. List the number and name of all customers that have opened their accounts in the second branch or that have a balance less than $1,000.
J. List the number and name of all customers who have opened an account in the “Melbourne city” branch.
K. Find the total of the balances for all accounts.
3. Write the 1NF, 2NF, 3NF for the below data.
HEALTH HISTORY REPORT
PET ID PET NAME PET TYPE PET AGE OWNER VISIT DATE PROCEDURE
246 ROVER DOG 12 SAM COOK JAN 13/2002 01 – RABIES VACCINATION
MAR 27/2002 10 – EXAMINE and TREAT WOUND
APR 02/2002 05 – HEART WORM TEST
298 SPOT DOG 2 TERRY KIM JAN 21/2002 08 – TETANUS VACCINATION
MAR 10/2002 05 – HEART WORM TEST
341 MORRIS CAT 4 SAM COOK JAN 23/2001 01 – RABIES VACCINATION
JAN 13/2002 01 – RABIES VACCINATION
519 TWEEDY BIRD 2 TERRY KIM APR 30/2002 20 – ANNUAL CHECK UP
APR 30/2002 12 – EYE WASH
Marks are allocated for each part as above:
Marking Rubric for Assignment 1 –Part B: Total Marks 60
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
skills Evidence of accurate and well-
written queries Evidence of good query writingskills. Generally relevant. Displayed reasonable query writing skills. Demonstrated little evidence of understanding the topic.
Demonstrated excellent ability to think critically. Demonstrated anability to think critically. Demonstrated reasonable ability to think. Demonstrated some ability to think critically but not complete. Did not demonstrate ability to think critically.
Logic is clear and easy to follow. Consistency logical and convincing. Mostly consistent logical and convincing. Adequate cohesion and conviction. Arguments are confused and disjointed.
The post WRITE SQL QUERIES FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND EXECUTE THE QUERIES ON THE ‘ORIENTALBANK’ DATABASE YOU CREATED ABOVE USING MS ACCESS. (20 MARKS) appeared first on essaylords.us.
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.
The post WRITE SQL QUERIES FOR THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS AND EXECUTE THE QUERIES ON THE ‘ORIENTALBANK’ DATABASE YOU CREATED ABOVE USING MS ACCESS. (20 MARKS) appeared first on Nursing Writers Hub.