(1) summarize the key ideas in the book, (2) discuss the potential for its use for Christian premarital couples, (3) critique at least 2 ideas in the book from a studied, theological perspective.November 30, 2017
Discuss the occasion and purpose for the writing of 1 & 2 Thessalonians. Who were the opponents of Paul in Thessalonica?November 30, 2017
Forum 7 Discussion
You must answer 2 sections of the questions below. Support your answers with the information found in your textbooks, but also feel free to use critical outside sources to add to the conversation as needed. Cite all sources using current Turabian format. Restate the questions to which you are responding at the beginning of each thread. Post a single thread; do not post a separate thread for each section of questions. Then reply to the threads of 2 different classmates by Sunday evening. Do not duplicate your replies to different classmates; each reply must be original to the specific thread of the student with whom you are interacting.
- What are three alternative proposals to John’s authorship of the Johannine Letters? How would you summarize the internal and external evidence in favor of John’s authorship? Which do you think was written first: John’s Gospel or John’s Letters? Why?
- Discuss the occasion and purpose for the writing of 1 John. Who were John’s opponents? What was the nature of the opponents’ doctrine and how did John respond to it? Does the doctrine of these opponents exist today? If so, where? How can we use John’s response today?
- Discuss the issues surrounding the authorship and date of Revelation. Which view do you think fits best with this book and why? Be sure to include evidence for your view. What was the occasion and purpose for the writing of Revelation?
- Offer a definition of the term “apocalypse.” What the traits of an “apocalypse”? In what ways does Revelation fit these traits? List the four primary approaches to the study of Revelation. Which one do you think offers the best promise for understanding this book? Why?
Your thread is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Thursday of Module/Week 8. Your replies are due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Friday of the same module/week.