As you will see below, there is a tremendous amount of conflict with regards to the benefits of organics with in the scientific community. It is my intention with this section to show you both sides of the science, but also to show you the corporate influence on the science. As I mentioned in the introduction, I have been trying to eat exclusively organic for about 6 years now for a variety of reasons including the ramifications of the chemicals on our health and the environment (next weeks discussion), health and nutrition of the food, and the energy and interconnection between humans and all life on this planet. I hope you will be able to make more informed decisions for yourself based on the information in this section. If you have not already read the introduction in the module, please do that before you begin this discussion as well as the readings.
Organic Sustainable Farming is the Future of Agriculture – The Future of Food (Links to an external site.)
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/04/13/711144729/can-this-breakfast-cereal-help-save-the-planet?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190413&fbclid=IwAR2kywRpOH62INP7q6eLOm_0v_7grHST3rcDmFiXnohw9h08GTxpMlweqhk (Links to an external site.)
From a Farmer’s Mouth
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/future-of-food/organic-farming-crops-consumers/ (Links to an external site.)
1. What are the sustainable principals of organic farming?
2. What does certified organic mean for produce and animals?
3. When you see the term “organic” on a label, what % of the food item is organic?
4. How does the video exhibit sustainability in it’s farming practices?
5. According to the last link what are 3 challenges that organic farmers face?
6. Why is organic produce so popular now?
7. In the NPR article, why is using native grains more sustainable than traditional organic farming?
Is it more nutritious?
Are Organic Foods Safer or Healthier Than Conventional Alternatives?: A Systematic Review
http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1355685 (Links to an external site.)
Little evidence of health benefits from organic foods, study finds:
http://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/09/little-evidence-of-health-benefits-from-organic-foods-study-finds.html (Links to an external site.)
That Flawed Stanford Study:http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/02/that-flawed-stanford-study/?_r=0 (Links to an external site.)
1. What did the Stanford Study Find (please summarize the study results for the first link)?
2. What health aspects associated with organic foods were found in the study that were overlooked in the publication of the study?
3. What are the issues with the finds from the Stanford Study according to the 3rd article? Does this information invalidate the study? Explain your answer using all 3 links.
4. Given the results of the Stanford Study on organic vs. conventional foods, has your stance on organic foods changed? (please explain your answer and give specifics from the articles.)
The post NUFS139 Organic Sustainable Principals of Organic Farming Questions first appeared on The Nursing Tutors.