After engaging the required readings for Module/Week 1, you will write a 6-page reflection on your experience with pastoral counseling; current needs, expectations of the course, and approach to pastoral counseling must be identified and concisely described.November 30, 2017
(Solved) Please post a 400-word response to Walton’s statement. Discuss the importance of revelation to God and the biblical writers. Seek to answer questions like “Was it important for God to reveal himself to mankind? If so, in what ways has God revealed himself?November 30, 2017
4-MAT Book Reviews
You will write a book review of 2 of the 4 required textbooks for this course. Each review should follow the word-count indicated for each section:
- Summary: 500 words.
- Concrete responses: 250 words.
- Reflection: 250 words.
- Application: 200 words.
The 4-MAT Book Review system is a way of responding to readings, lectures, and life experiences that requires the learner to interact with new ideas on several levels. Use the following format in preparing 4-MAT REVIEWS.
- Summary:After listing author, publisher, and date, summarize what you have read as if you were the author boiling down the book into 500 tight words. Prove that you comprehend the readings by writing a no-nonsense summary. The summary is not a commentary or listing of topics, but rather a gut-deep, insightful “précis” of the longer, more elaborate book. Summary equals boiled down.
- Concrete responses:Get vulnerable! In 250 words, relate a personal life episode that this book triggered in your memory. Relate your story in first person, describing action, quoting exact words you remember hearing or saying. In the teaching style of Jesus, this is a do-it-yourself parable, case study, confession. You will remember almost nothing you have read unless you make this critical, personal connection. What video memory began to roll? This is your chance to tell your story and make new ideas your own.
- Reflection:What new questions pop up for you in response to what you have read? Keep a rough note sheet at hand as you read. Outsmart the author by asking better questions than he/she has raised. Begin with questions like, “What bothers me about this book?” Please keep this section to about 250 words.
- Application: So what are you going to do about it, anyway? Tell in detail what you are going to say to a counselee, send as an email, or say to a friend. What actions or changes are you going to make in your life as a result of your learning? Your response here is a matter of obedience first, questions later. Be precise in summarizing your action steps (limit these comments to about 200 words).
- Please note:Your grade on 4-MAT Book Reviews depends on the manner in which you address each of these 4 dimensions of response to readings.
Submit each assignment via SafeAssign by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Sunday of the assigned modules/weeks.