Topics provided for research topic selection:
1. Identify a foreign company that has expanded internationally using the ‘strategic joint venture model or alliance’. Identify and discuss the key advantages and disadvantages of this approach to market entry. What strategies has the company adopted or used in the strategic alliance that have led to its success or lack of success? Also discuss the key factors influencing risk, control and decision making in strategic join ventures and alliances.
2. Consider the political-economic situation of Europe and the EEC since countries such as Greece, Turkey, Spain, Italy and Portugal have been experiencing economic problems. Also taking into account the recent issues with asylum seeker immigration and terrorism. Identify
the key problems and issues for companies doing business in these regions. What strategies would be required for businesses in Europe to recover their economic standing in the global arena?
3. Critique how Intellectual Property (IP) laws are managed in Australia and in China. Can Australian companies operating in China protect their branding during the process of marketing activities and how? Use a case study to demonstrate your argument.
4. Analyze some important global strategies to consider when positioning brands and products across borders. Consider the Service Marketing Mix (7Ps), Promotional Mixes and Marketing Communications Channels. Use a case study that has been successful globally in
its brand positioning and sales penetration.
5. How can Human Resource Management Strategies make or break a global branded company. Discuss how HR impacts on the Service Marketing Mix and helps to support Global “Corporate”,” Business” and “Marketing” strategies. Use a case study that has been
successful globally in this regard.
6. How can companies move away from Ethnocentricity towards Trans-nationalism. What are the pros and cons regards staying with Ethnocentricity and of moving forwards towards a more Trans-national global policy. Use a case study/studies to demonstrate your
7. Select an Australian, New Zealand or Asian company that has chosen to expand it’s brand, products and/or services into international markets over the last 10 years. Using this company as a case-study evaluate it’s overall International Strategy making sure to clearly define its predominant reasons for entering different markets, entry strategies utilized, factors that have helped/hindered its success, and its decisions/choices between a globalised versus regionalized approach.
8. Discuss and evaluate the effectiveness of Gert Hofstede’s research and analysis of differences in country values. Provide an assessment of each of the key values identified in the research and using the case of a company that has expanded into overseas markets, discuss how these differences in country and management values might influence and impact the effectiveness of communication, decision making and negotiation across to very diverse cultures.
9. Discuss how company structure and culture must change over time to accommodate the process of ‘internationalisation’. Identify a suitable case company or organisation and provide an overview of the key stages and changes that take place as a business grows from
operating domestically, to working trans-nationally.
10. International companies face increasing pressure when seeking talented staff to secure overseas working positions and assignments. Discuss some of the key issues and problems that global companies and organisations face when assigning staff (IHRM) to overseas positions, including strategies that can be used to assist with remuneration, benefit packaging and repatriation. Select a global company that you believe manages IHRM well and use it as a case example for this study.